How are you sleeping? Do you wake up frequently and never reach a deep sleep?
Are you on overdrive and don’t sleep much at all?
Your racing heart beat could be caused by lack of sleep. We know that everyone has different sleep patterns, but in general, the average person needs between 7 and 9 hours of sleep. If you are getting less that 7 or not truly resting, your sleep deprivation could be a contributing factor for your heart palpitations.
Why would lack of sleep cause my arrhythmia?
Without proper sleep, your body will be fatigued. If your body is tired all of the time then it will not function in its normal capacity. As your body starts to work harder just to try and reach its regular functioning capabilities, then your heart will work harder. When your heart works harder, it can increase the occurrence of an irregular heartbeat.
What is the solution?
Well, it would be easy for me to say…”Just get some sleep,” but I know many times it is not that easy. Keep your mind occupied with something else other than focusing on the fact that you are not sleeping. Try some simple sleep exercises, here are a few suggestions:
- Count backward from 1000 by 3s or 4s. Change your pattern night to night.
- Use the alphabet and pick a topic. For example, names. Start with A and think of a name, like Alice. B for Betty. Each letter you add repeat from the beginning.
- Do a word search, crossword or other puzzle.
- Tighten your body, part by part and let it relax. For example, make your toes as tight as you can for 5 seconds, and then feel them relax for 5 seconds. Go up your body until you reach your head.
- Take deep relaxing breaths (see my breathing exercises article).
- Keep the TV and or computer out of your bedroom; they can distract you from sleep.
If you have tried various relaxation exercises and still find you cannot sleep, you should talk to your doctor about it or take something natural like valerian to help you relax and sleep. You need to sleep! It is vital for the rejuvenation of your body, mind and…heart!
LINK – how to choose a supplement.